HOW OFTEN DO I NEED MY SMOKE ALARM TESTED?
If you are a real estate agent or a landlord in Melbourne, you are required under law to ensure your smoke alarm is in working order at your rental property. The frequency of alarm testing depends on the building and its location.
Laws in Victoria state that:
• Smoke alarms should be fitted approximately 1 metre from all bedrooms
- Smoke alarms must be replaced every 10 years
- Smoke alarm batteries should be replaced at least once a year to ensure correct operation
- Landlords are responsible for the supply, installation & testing of the smoke alarm(s)
- Landlords are required to install a new battery for each smoke alarm at the commencement of each new tenancy
- Tenants are not responsible for the replacement of batteries in hard-wired smoke alarm systems that have battery backup
- At no time can the landlord/tenant remove or relocate the smoke alarm or do anything to interfere with the alarm’s warning sound
- At no time can the landlord/tenant remove the batteries unless they are replacing them
- At no time can the landlord remove or relocate the smoke alarm unless it is being replaced or maintained
For more information, give our friendly team a call and they can provide more detailed information on your legal requirements.
GET A FREE APPRAISAL ON SMOKE ALARM SERVICING
Our team of highly skilled, licensed electricians can ensure alarms are functioning correctly in your home or business. Give us a call today to secure an appointment with our friendly staff.